Whether fitness is at the core of who you are or you simply enjoy playing a friendly game of hoops from time to time, living an active lifestyle can take its toll on your body (we’re looking at you, sore muscles and joints).
However, the feeling of camaraderie you share with your like-minded friends and knowing that you’ve accomplished the impossible is often worth the occasional discomfort.
But what if you could ease the aches in your muscles or possibly reduce the tension in your lower back?
Enter: the CBD roll-on.
CBD roll-ons are an easy-to-use tool that may lessen the aches caused by your weekend warrior (and everyday) activities. Here, we break down what a CBD roll-on is, review some of its uses, and discuss how to apply it—so you can return to performing at maximum capacity.
What Is a CBD Roll-On?
Before we dive into the variety of CBD roll-on uses, let’s dip our toes in the CBD waters and discuss what a CBD roll-on is. Cannabidiol (CBD) is a chemical found in the cannabis plant—not to be confused with THC, CBD’s famous cousin.
Derived specifically from hemp (cannabis plants that have 0.3 percent of THC or less), CBD extract doesn’t cause a “high” like THC. Rather, it may support:
- Joint stiffness from exercise
- Quality of sleep
- General aches and discomforts
That’s where the “roll-on” aspect comes in. When you add CBD oil (combined with active ingredients like camphor and menthol) into a tube and place a roller ball on top, you’ve found yourself with a CBD roll-on that aims to potentially reduce the discomforts that come with everyday life.
From recreational enthusiasts who enjoy a friendly game of tennis to advanced athletes who take the meaning of competition to a whole new level, a CBD roll-on might be exactly what you need to ensure you potentially, and comfortably, continue doing what you love.
What Are the Uses for a CBD Roll-On?
If you find yourself with body aches, joint stiffness, or general discomfort due to your active lifestyle or hearty exercise regimen, it’s time to flex those competitive muscles and dive into the deep end of CBD roll-ons.
There are plenty of uses for roll-ons, depending on your lifestyle.
Uses for an Active Lifestyle
If you’re committed to an active lifestyle—whether you travel the world looking for your next adrenaline fix or you play a team sport with your buds on the weekends—you can use a CBD roll-on to combat the discomforts of leading said energetic life.
One of the benefits of CBD roll-ons is that you can use them at any point of your physical activities, including:
- Before – You don’t have to wait for the discomfort to settle in before pulling out your CBD roll-on. On the contrary—you can be proactive! If you’re about to tackle an all-day rock climb that you know will have your joints begging for a break midway through, use the CBD roll-on on top of your most problematic areas beforehand. It may help to reduce some of your future soreness.
- During – You might prefer to wait until you’re in the middle of your five-mile hike to whip out the CBD roll-on, and that’s perfectly fine. You can listen to your body to determine the best time to soak in the potential advantages of the roll-on.
- After – You know your body best, and if that means using a CBD roll-on with active ingredients like camphor and menthol after a particularly challenging workout to possibly help relieve lower back pain—that’s A-OK too.
Uses for Everyday Needs
CBD roll-ons can be an excellent way to ebb some of the soreness that comes with being an athlete. However, that doesn’t take away from the fact that roll-ons may also be fantastic for everyday use, such as:
- Alleviating daily discomforts – You don’t have to be a world-class athlete to wake up with aches or discomfort. If you find that your joints are more sensitive when you’re lifting yourself out of the car, try carrying your CBD roll-on with you while you’re out and about. It may help to relieve your joint stiffness.
- Easing tension – Some jobs require you to stand or sit in the same position for hours on end, which can be taxing on your body. You can use the CBD roll-on before, during, or after your shift, which may help ease any tension in your muscles or joints.
How to Use a CBD Roll-On
Applying the CBD roll-on is quick and effortless. Follow these simple steps during your application process:
- Step 1 – Locate the affected area (or areas) where you normally feel tension or discomfort.
- Step 2 – Roll the oil onto your skin using the roller ball. Although not necessary, you can massage the oil into your skin with your hands.
- Step 3 – If you rubbed the oil in, wash your hands to remove the oil and other ingredients, such as camphor and menthol.
How Much to Use
When it comes to CBD roll-ons, you can typically use it up to three to four times a day. If you’re very attuned to your body, you can apply it before you feel any discomfort or muscle soreness. You can also apply it later in the day if you feel any oncoming aches or tension.
What Are the Differences Between a CBD Roll-On and a CBD Cream?
One of the benefits of CBD oil is that you can incorporate it into a topical product, like a roll-on or a CBD muscle cream—both of which you can use with slightly different intentions.
Here are a few reasons why a CBD roll-on can be a wonderful way to manage your discomforts on the go (or, really—anywhere):
- It offers a no-touch application – With a roll-on, there’s no need to rub the oil in with your hands. This can be convenient if you’re in the middle of an activity. You won’t need to worry about washing your hands or wondering if your hands are too slick to grip a piece of sports equipment properly. Simply roll it directly on the achy area and replace the cap on the product—quick and easy.
- It’s portable – A CBD roll-on is excellent to have on hand when you’re on the go. Want to roll it on a joint after a lift session? Great! Need it once you’ve reached the summit of your day-long hike? Wonderful. You can grab it directly out of your pants pocket or rucksack.
You can use CBD cream when you’re out and about, but why not have the best of both worlds?
Keep the roll-on with you while you’re out of the house and use your CBD cream when you’re at home so you can take your time applying CBD cream to any areas of discomfort on your body.
A CBD cream can help to:
- Moisturize your skin – Because of the natural botanicals in some CBD creams, they may have the ability to keep your skin hydrated. This can be helpful, whether you’ve spent the day hiking in a dry climate or you’re simply prone to dry skin.
- Massage your way to relief – You can use your hands to rub the CBD cream into your skin to provide an added massage of the tension in your muscles while also helping the cream to be absorbed directly into your skin and muscles.